Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Active Learning

Google image 

So I am sitting here thinking about what we learned in class last Thursday. Trying to figure out what I am going to write here on my blog to tell the class and my professor.  The Professor talked about Active Learning. Active Learning is a process whereby students engage in activities, such as reading, writing, discussion, or problem solving that promote analysis, synthesis, and evaluation of class content. I honestly didn’t even know what this was. I was so lost. I had to read and read and learn more about active learning. We did a project with a partner in class here is the link http://popplet.com/app/#/3174314 After doing this project I started to know that I did this when I was working at the day care as a teacher. I had to figure out lesson plans where my students didn’t have to be sitting and doing work. I wanted them to get up and learn while having fun without worksheets. Preschoolers are always active so the more they can learn while doing, the better. This is for any level group. We teachers have to engage them and keep them interested while they are with us in a classroom. Back when I was in school the teachers never did fun activities with us it was mostly sitting and writing. Now in schools they still don’t really do active learning. It’s about  learning by watching videos on iPads. Now that I want to become a teacher I believe students learn by tests and homework sheets. They need activities that involve them so they can remember everything and learn in a fun way. Think about it would you want to be sitting in a classroom bored and everyday be miserable that you’re just going to school to do worksheets after worksheets. No! We want our children to be happy they want to come to school because they know there will be fun activities for them to do and learn at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate your honesty and courage to say that you were a bit lost and confused, you're not the only one. I agree that popplet helped and that by applying active learning to our lesson plans, we are involving our students and allowing them to learn from not only us but each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you left out a word near the bottom- you said you believe students learn by tests and homework sheets but later said they learn by active learning!

    ReplyDelete